faith, hope and love

Monday, March 28, 2005

Happy Easter

Yesterday, Vince and I went to the Chinese Bible Church at Oak Park. Vince's friend and former co-worker, Julie goes to church there. The service took two hours because it was both in English and Cantonese. According to Julie, the English and Cantonese services are usually separated. But since yesterday was Easter they combined the two services. There was a translator who was translating whatever was being said into Cantonese. At first, I felt a little lost because I could not understand the pastor because his voice was so low and was mumbling in his Chinese-accented English. Thankfully, there was another pastor who spoke louder. Pastor Raj gave a good sermon. At the end of the service, Julie and her husband Paul, together with their little girl Alana met up with us. Julie was starving and was craving for dimsum. Eventhough we just had dimsum last Wednesday, Vince and I decided to go with them.

At the restaurant, I had the grandest time watching Alana. She was so adorable. At two, she wanted to do everything on her own. "Ms. Independent," Paul called her. Vince and I had a great time talking to Julie and Paul, and watched this family interact. While we were eating, one of the waitresses was passing out the "taho" (I don't know what it's called in English or in Chinese, but it's the tofu drink that peddlers sell in the Philippines.) Paul asked what it was, and I said that it was taho. He seemed confused, so I asked if he spoke Tagalog. Paul didn't realize that I was Filipina. (Ngek. If you'd see me, you would say that I look like a typical Filipina --brown skin, dark eyes, black hair) So anyway, Julie(who is Chinese) said, "Yeah, she's Filipina. They are the opposite of us." Then she turned to Vince and me, "if you wonder what your kids are gonna look like, just look at Alana." That was so funny.

After lunch, Paul invited Vince and me to see the condo that he and Julie recently purchased in downtown. They live in the suburbs, and spend the weekends in the city. Their condo unit has a nice view of downtown buildings and is situated about two blocks away from the John Hancock tower. Restaurants and shops are at a walking distance. How I'd love to live there.

Today, the temperature dropped down to the high 50's and low 60's. Vince got home early, so I asked him to play tennis with me. I am still learning, so Vince ended up running after the ball. He did say I am getting better with my forehand. Now if I can just remember how to do the backhand while we're at play. I took beginner's lessons last year and I did well when we were learning the strokes, but once we started playing, I just couldn't remember how to execute those strokes. :)

I don't know why I totally suck at tennis. I just don't have the hand and eye coordination that is so important when playing this sport. I was an active child when I was a kid. In the afternoons after classes and after finishing my homeworks, I used to play tags, hide and seek, patintero and tinikling with my cousins(all boys) who lived in the same compound. I even played badminton. So I thought it would be easy to learn tennis. Boy, am I wrong! But, I won't give up. Someday, I'll just be whacking that ball like a real pro. Watch out, Lindsay Davenport! Hehehe.

2 Comments:

At 2:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used to play tennis when i was in secondary school, but now, sobrang tamad na!

 
At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's widely known that if all the races in the world interbred and led to one love child, he/she would look exactly like a Pinay!!!

michelle from michelle.wolfmadness

 

Post a Comment

<< Home