faith, hope and love

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Sick

I've been feeling under the weather this week. It started last Wednesday when I came down with symptoms of allergy: runny nose, sneezing, and congestion. Since I moved here to Chicago, I've been sufferring from bouts of allergy. Thinking it was plain allergy attack, I asked Vince to call a script of Allegra for me at our local Walgreens pharmacy. However when I came home from work last Friday with chills and a fever of 101.5F, I realized that this may not be a simple allergy. I developed dry hacking cough, and my runny nose, sneezing and congestion have become worse. My eyes and face are all red. I really felt bad for my patients. Imagine this:

Me: (With a hoarse voice) Good morning, Mr. Patient. I am Shelly; and I will be your nurse today. Excuse me for a minute.
(Go outside the room. Cross my legs, and cough, cough, cough. Wash hands. Go back to pt's room)
Mr. P: Are you ok?
Me: Uhm, yes. May I listen to your heart and lungs? (Fumble with my stethoscope)

Hah! Very professional. How would you feel if you were the patient? Hehehe, scared? Can't blame you. I am glad that my other patients were too disoriented to care.

Anyway, I went home, took a cool shower, popped Tylenol and went to bed. Vince came over with my Allegra. It helped with the stuffiness, but the nagging cough is still there. To help my cough and soothe my sore throat, Vince made this weird concoction of coke and ginger, a formula he learned from his mom . Surprisingly, it didn't taste as disgusting as it sound. In fact, I liked the taste of it. But it didn't really help that much. Aiyah, chinese medicines! Vince took a swig of it, and said, "Awful! This tastes like mom's herbal teas. And you like it?" Heehee, I thought it was better than the stuff my mom made me drink when I was sick as a kid. Have you ever had oregano elixir? Yuck! No wonder I hate taking medications.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home