faith, hope and love

Sunday, September 11, 2005

"The Dress"

Heather, the bridal consultant, looked exasperated after helping me into a dress. I looked in the mirror, my eyes not registering the "this is it" expression that Heather was hoping for. The salon was busy. There were two other brides besides me and my friend, N who also came with me to try on gowns. N and I ended up sharing the room because we got tired of going out to show the other how we looked with the gowns on. Good thing that we have different tastes. No chance of catfight over "The Dress." N is more into the extravagant, princess ball gowns. Just 5 feet tall, you wouldn't think she'd be the type who'd want to stand out. But her personality calls for it. I, on the other hand, scopes out the simple A-line gowns with the least beading or adornment as possible.

So, after trying on the last gown that I have picked. I was ready to give up. Heather came out of the dressing room and returned bearing two more gowns. I wasn't really interested at this time. N looked at the gowns, and exclaimed. "Richel, you gotta try this on. This is so you." I smiled at her. She looked beautiful in a Lazaro strapless ivory satin ball gown with jeweled crystal trims on the bodice. Like a little kid, she was all giddy and excited. I tried on one of the gowns at her urging. As Heather helped me into the dress, I realized that this one looked familiar. I knew I had seen this in a magazine before, and thought that it was pretty. I gazed at myself on the mirror. The strapless silk satin gown was simple enough yet elegant. The waist was lined with delicate beadings. Its chapel train adorned with three small flowers, giving the dress just a touch of uniqueness. The skirt falls into an A-line giving my figure the illusion of height. I felt like a bride.

As a little girl I never dreamed of myself getting married. I never even imagined myself in a wedding gown. Maybe this is the reason why it's difficult for me to find "The Dress." After five visits to different salons, I couldn't believe that I finally found "The Dress" so I didn't order it yet. I may have found it but I'd like to make sure, first. I have until the end of this month to make a decision but I haven't stopped thinking about the dress since we left the salon. Could it be that I found the dress the way love found me... when I wasn't looking/interested? Perhaps this is the one. We'll find out by the end of this month. :)

8 Comments:

At 2:51 AM, Blogger marikit said...

wow, wedding gown shopping! enjoy it girl!

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi shelly! if you still have time, try on more dresses. but if after trying more and you can't help but compare it to "that dress" , then that's probably "the dress"!

good luck!

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you when it comes to simple gowns with less ornamentation...and those seemed to be the most difficult dresses to find when I was shopping around. So maybe you're lucky this one clicked? Good luck!

Lori

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger lengirl said...

Could it be that I found the dress the way love found me... when I wasn't looking/interested?

that's a good thought :) no matter what cut or fabric you choose, i'm sure that bridal glow will kick in on your special day and you'll radiate. happy gown hunting!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger star said...

there are so many choices, but in the end, the dress will find you shelly, i'm sure :) enjoy the search!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Marj and Carlos said...

I looked at more than a thousand dresses at the knot until I became cross-eyed. I finally gave up and settled for whatever sketch the designer made. But then ended up not liking that after many months and much thought. I started out from scratch again and started my search again at the knot. Five minutes later I found my inspiration dress. Armed with it, my designer went to work and now have a design taht i love :)

Hope you have a happy ending too :)

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger marikit said...

thanks, shelly for the nice words you left on my blog. how are the wed preps coming along? take care.

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

hi shelly! Thanks for dropping by my blog.
Regarding the fish beads... I bought them at Simple Joys in SM City. I'm not sure if its still available but there are other precious things you can choose from.
Goodluck with your search for "the dress".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home