faith, hope and love

Friday, September 30, 2005

A Letter to Chicago

Dear Chicago,

First of all, let me apologize for not bidding you my proper goodbye. It's been two months ago since I left you. And yet, I still think of you every so often. My last day with you, I went to Stella's Diner for breakfast. That corner diner on Broadway and Barry that Vince and I frequently passed by but only visited once on a weekend, was quiet this Friday morning. There were about five other customers, most of them in their 60s or 70s. I enjoyed my first (and probably the last) omelette from Stella's. In between bites, I pondered on how much I was going to miss you.

I admit that ours was a love-hate relationship. The first time I met you in August of 2000, I thought that you were cold and harsh. I couldn't understand why Vince loved you. I didn't appreciate your diversity. Even the excitement of shopping at Magnificent Mile didn't entice me. Nor the vast collection of art at the Institute lured me. I ignored your museums and theaters. Your confusing streets and chaotic traffic weren't very inviting either. Your denizens, I found them rude and incapable of driving without breaking any traffic rules. I hated looking for parking in your busy streets. I visited you a few more times, each time hating you. If not for Vince, I wouldn't have been there to see you.


I finally moved in May 2003. I still hated you at the time. It was a very difficult first year for us. I was very unhappy with everything...my job, my apartment, my neighborhood and most especially, you. I missed my family so much, but they were so far away. Vince was busy with residency, and I felt like I was left to find my way by myself and get to know you, which I refused to do.

Spring gave way to summer. And summer went by without me enjoying the fun things you had to offer. I didn't marvel at the beautiful color your trees showcased during fall either, for I knew winter would be there soon enough, and I would hate you even more. I came from a tropical country, you know. I wasn't used to snow and the cold.

When the last trace of snow finally melted. I finally gave in and started noticing you. I began enjoying your museums. I visited Fields several times. On my days off, I would go to the Art Institute to view your exhibits. I also relished walking on the streets of Michigan Avenue and looking at the window displays of posh stores which goods I could never afford. I enjoyed having lunch at Milleneum Park. Eating a sandwhich while admiring the Cloud Gate sculpture along with the tourists, became one of my favorite things to do. I learned to love my own neighborhood of Lakeview. I appreciated the fact that the grocery store was only three blocks away, and that I could just walk there if I needed something. I was grateful to be near restaurants, so that when I was too lazy to cook, all I had to do was walk three blocks and have my choice of diverse cuisines. It was very convenient that the lakeshore was just a few blocks away. I met a few good friends who showed me how fun you can be. I enjoyed the fun activities you offered me during the summer. I was finally feeling at home with you.

Of course when winter came, I began hating you again. There's something mean about you when winter comes. You become dark and dreary. But I guess that's part of your appeal. For without winter, I wouldn't see your beauty during the other seasons. And without winter, I wouldn't enjoy the other seasons as much. So I have come to realize that you are indeed worth loving. That Vince had a reason to choose you. You didn't only teach me how to become a defensive driver and to parallel park but you also taught me how to live my day to the fullest. Because of you, I learned to enjoy the good times and to be patient during the bad times. You gave me something to look forward to. I learned that winter will soon give way to spring.

After that breakfast at Stella's, I went back to my old apartment to get myself ready for a long drive to Indy. The sadness came over me, realizing that I'd be leaving you. Indianapolis will never be able to compete with you, but I will give it a chance to show me its own worth. See, your lessons stayed with me. I will forever be grateful to you for taking care of me and for teaching me to be happy where I am. I will never forget the memories we shared together.

love,
Richel

PS... I can't wait to see you tonight.

3 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaww, shelly, that so sweet! i'm sure that's how joy felt when she left chicago. and i'm sure that's why my sister won't leave either!

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi shelly,

that's a very unique way of reminiscing and expressing your sentiments about chicago. very touching. i'm sure that it will always be a place that's close to your heart because of the memories. good luck with indianapolis.

by the way, thanks for the words of empathy. that was very helpful.

oh yeah, i moved to another blog address recently (long story). wish me luck on the updating :) just click on my name and you're there.

take care always,
rhona

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger shellybeeens said...

paz: i didn't know you have a sister in chicago.

rhona:yes, chicago and i share a lot of memories.

marie: too bad i didn't get to catch any shows. we had very little time to do anything fun. v had his visit to his hairstylist. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home