faith, hope and love

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Moving Woes and Finding Home

I just hate moving and the whole process that goes with it... looking for a place to live, for a job, applying for licenses, notifying people and business of my new address, cancelling current utilities and putting up new ones, planning for the whole move itself, hiring movers, packing, unpacking, getting to know the new place, looking for new doctors, dentists, eye doctor. Aaaaaaaaaaah... I could go on and on.

Vince and I have only two months left before we move to Indianapolis, and yet I haven't started looking for a job or signed a lease yet on a place to live. What is wrong with me? I know that I am a procrastinator princess, but things like these should never be put on hold. It will give me more distress than I can handle later on. I just can't seem to motivate myself on doing the important things to do. I finally called the Indiana Board of Nursing to ask about my application for license, and I was told that it's on the mail. At least I have one thing checked from my growing list of things to do. Now maybe I can continue to the other 999 things left for me to do.


I think the reason why I keep putting this off is that I know this move will only be temporary. Vince and I plan on staying in Indianapolis for about a year or two at the most, since our ultimate goal is to move back to the West close to our families... maybe to Arizona or back to California... hopefully back to San Diego(ok, that's my goal. hey, one can dream, right?) So, knowing that I will be moving again after about a year just makes me tired and lazy.

I've been uprooted a few times that I feel like I don't know where home is anymore. Philippines will always be called "back home", but when I am there, I feel like I don't belong there anymore. Sad to say, but everytime I come home for a visit, I just feel like a mere "visitor"--someone who will be going back to where I was before. San Diego is the place I called home for eleven years before I was convinced to move to Chicago. I admit I resisted liking this place at first, because I didn't want to leave the Philippines. But eleven years is more than enough time for this place to grow on me. I discovered its beauty(nice beaches, temperate climates) and accepted its flaws(expensive living). Two years have passed since I moved to Chicago, and I still haven't called it home. I enjoy this exciting and vibrant city. I love being able to take the bus to go downtown to windowshop and watch people. But I hate the weather, and the fact that my family is miles away. Soon I will be moving to Indianapolis. Will I love it there? Will it become a permanent place to live or will it be just a temporary one like Vince and I planned? Will I call it home or will I just be a visitor passing by? They say home is where the heart is. If that is so, as long as Vince and I are together, I should feel at home.

4 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger star said...

i feel for you, shelly. it's hard and it's tiring. but, on a brighter note, think of it as a blessing. not everyone has the chance to move and see if the grass is greener on the other side. you're lucky, you get to see life in another angle. home is not just about that one place. home is where you want home to be :)

 
At 1:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps you don't think this move is necessary? it's normal to feel a bit of trepidation when faced with the unknown such as moving to a new place.

if you haven't already, read up on the place you're moving to and then find places (restaurants, bakery, etc.) that you'll frequent or like.

at least you're not going into this alone plus you can easily get a job. good luck!

 
At 3:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i completely agree with star, shelly. i know a move is always messy, physically and emotionally, but you'll also get to experience life in a different city and get to start anew. don't worry, after you're all settled, you'll start falling in love with your new place. keep us updated ha? all the best to you, mwah mwah!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger shellybeeens said...

Thanks everyone!
Paz: That's what I remind myself all the time when I worry about moving.
Star and Pazette: Tama kayo, I should look at the bright side. I do want a change, and this is the perfect opportunity for it.
Marie: I agree with you that I feel like it's unnecessary to move to Indiana because V & I don't really think of it as a place where we'd want to live for a long time. But who knows, maybe we'll both change our minds when we get there.
Joy: Maybe it would be easier if I was moving to a place that I know I'd really love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home