faith, hope and love

Monday, May 09, 2005

My Hospital Experience

Last Tuesday, I found myself in the receiving end of healthcare. I had an EGD(esophagogastroduodenoscopy or Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy-- a procedure done by inserting a long flexible scope in your mouth into the esophagus, stomach and duodenum to visualize the upper gastrointestinal tract.) My primary doctor referred me to the GI guy after my complaints of nausea, frequent heartburns and gas problems(belching...not the other end-- although either way, it's gross.) So, off I went to see Dr. S, the GI doc I know from my unit. He's a gentle doctor, always very nice to patients and staff. And very knowledgeable, too. So last Tuesday, after fasting since dinner, no food or drink, I woke up at 530 am to be at the hospital at 6 for my procedure at 7. I arrived at the hospital with so much apprehension. I knew that I would have a simple procedure. I would be given sedation, and be able to go home after recovery from the procedure the same day. Yet, the fact that I would be turning myself into the hands of the heathcare team was daunting. And the fear of finding the cause of my problems was greater.

After registering myself in the admission office, I went up to the GI lab. I was a little early, so there was no one in the unit, except for E. She showed me where I would wait, had me change into the hospital gown, and gave me something to read while waiting. As I lay down on the gurney, the big hospital gown swallowing up my small frame, I perused the celebrity magazines E gave me, but somehow reading Angelina's and Brad's vacation in Africa couldn't keep me from being nervous. Another nurse, M, came in and went over my medical history and had me sign a consent form for the procedure. While she was doing that, another nurse P, came and inserted an IV on me. P learned that I work on the 5th floor. And she said, "That's why you're here, 'cause your job is giving you an ulcer." We both laughed since we both know how busy my unit gets.


She and M, then wheeled me into the procedure room. M attached me to the monitors, took my vital signs; my BP was 120/68. I am normally on the 90s/50s. Dr. S, came and explained what we might find out from the procedure from my symptoms, blah, blah, blah.. By this time, I was already too anxious to listen and care, and just wanted to get the procedure over with. So finally, they made me lie down on my left side, E gave me oxygen, and M told me she would give me some Versed ( a sedation drug.) The last thing I remember was Dr. S inserting the tube in my mouth. Then I heard M telling me that the procedure was done, and that I did well. Then I was wheeled back to the waiting area to recover. I dozed on and off, M or P came to check on me a few times. Then after about an hour, I was more alert. P took the IV off my arm and told me that I could get dressed and wait for Dr. S for the results and instructions.

Dr. S came and told me the EGD showed reflux esophagitis( and hemorrhagic gastritis(inflammation of the stomach). Great, now I have to take medication everyday to reduce the acid and avoid caffeine. He also recommended low fat diet, as he said that fat tends to make the esophageal muscles weak, thus causing more reflux. Does that mean no more greasy Filipino foods? He also said no food three hours before bed. So that also means I will have to sleep an hour later on work days, when I go home around 8 and finish eating dinner at 9. I usually sleep at 11. Wow, this is going to be a major lifestyle change. Perhaps it's time to look for another job where I could eat my lunch on proper times, without inhaling it so I could go back to my work, and go home on time to have dinner early. Just some thoughts. Anyway, after Dr. S's instructions, Vince picked me up and brought me back to my apartment where I slept some more.

From this experience, I learned a few things:

  • how nerve-wracking it is to have a procedure. So it is very important for me to educate the patient about the procedures(the more you know, the less scary it is) and give them reassurance.
  • how uncomfortable the hospital gurneys are.
  • it's better to be the caregiver than to be the receiver.
  • how important it is to take care of my own health. I know what to do, and yet don't always do it.

10 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your experience. It does help to let the patients know what the procedure will be like and what will be done. Take care and rest easy. What dept are you in BTW?

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger star said...

i hope all will be well soon, shelly. skipping pinoy fatty foods? that'll be so hard! :) those are one of my guilt trips. can't imagine life without adobo or lechon kawali. yum! :)

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger shellybeeens said...

Thanks, everyone. I am feeling better these days, although I miss having longganisa, tocino and yes... adobo.

Marie: I work in telemetry unit. We monitor patients with heart problems.

Paz: Remember the nursetoon on your blog? What kind of nursing do you do?

Star: You are right, I can't live without Filipino foods, so I try to alter the few Filipino recipes that I know, skipping the oil... but it's not the same.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger shellybeeens said...

hi joy, you're a nurse, too? what type of nursing?

paz: i'd like to do research someday.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger shellybeeens said...

Hehehe, mine was an orange jeepney, although, I could take the yellow one, too. I graduated from St. Jo. Ikaw?

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger Leah said...

hello shelly. just blog hoppin'. :)

been on the receiving end too and now i know what patients have to go through.

i noticed you live in chicago pala. was supposed to work there at some SNF (where my aunt works), pero changed plans since i met my fiance. ;-) maybe someday i can visit the windy city.

hope you're feeling better these days. take care!

 
At 3:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope you're alright. take care of yourself now.

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my god, that was nasty! better take more care of yourself... wala nang arrogance of youth when it comes to health! hehe

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger marikit said...

glad to know you're alright now. that was one tough procedure i'd never want to take!

take care.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger shellybeeens said...

thanks, paz, anp and tin:
I am all better now. I have finished a whole month of medication and my doctor said that if I didn't experience any more symptoms then I could just take my med as needed. I am being very careful now as to what I eat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home