faith, hope and love

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Remembering

Today's my dad's birthday. It's been 9 years since he passed away. 11 since mom did.Maybe time has healed my grief. I don't think of them as often as I used to. Sometimes I worry that I will forget details about them. What am I going to tell my future children? Will I remember to tell them that I loved watching Jeopardy with dad? That I always looked forward to his coming home from work? That I got my wide forehead from him? That he loved to read? That he was a hardworking man? That he was a patient man and slow to anger, but that you'd never want to see him angry? Will I remember my mom's small hands that used to braid my hair? Will I remember how she helped me with my homework even if she didn't understand it herself? Will I remember that she taught me how to pray and to have faith? Will I be able to pass on what she taught me? As much as it hurts sometimes, I'd rather think of them so I can remember the way they laughed or spoke. Their smell. Their hair. Any detail. So I may remember.

5 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh shelly, i myself can't imagine without my parents but then i admire your strength and faith to have lost them earlier in life.

have a great day!

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger star said...

oh my. dear, you're so brave! i admire your strength in character. i'm sure, wherever they are, you're making them proud. hugs to you :)

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Glo said...

Your mind may loose the visuals but your heart will hold the love and memories youve had with your parents.

Im sure you will have wonderful stories to tell for generations to come!

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger shellybeeens said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I think it's not so much being strong but having the support of family and friends that helped me overcome my grief.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger lengirl said...

wow shelly, what a strong woman you are. and blessed too to have wonderful around you. hold on to those memories, i'm sure your kids and grandkids would enjoy the stories. take care :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home