faith, hope and love

Friday, January 06, 2006

Bridezilla Strikes Again



Although Vince may think otherwise, I believe that I am not exactly a bridezilla. I just like to call myself that from time to time, because I admit I do have some moments. But I am probably more the opposite because I procrastinate too much. But now that the holidays are over, I no longer have any excuse to procrastinate on my wedding preparations.

**The other day I finally got started on doing my save the date cards, and they will soon be ready for mailing once I finish printing the addresses on the envelopes. I am not computer savvy so this process took me longer than I wanted. I ordered magnets from vistaprint.com which is not a wedding website but a business website so the magnets cost me a lot less than if I had ordered them at a wedding site. The magnets cost me only about $0.27. They are not great magnets; they won't be able to hold a piece of paper, but they're just 'reminder' magnets. If it were up to Vince we'd have a plain postcard or none at all. Maybe our guests won't even care for the magnets. But I guess I wanted to take a shot in creativity. Anyway, I attached the magnets to notecards, printed our wedding website info on vellum paper that I ordered from an online paper factory at a very cheap price. I embossed our names and date on the flap of the envelopes. Voila, save the date cards for less than $0.80 each. Before I decided to make my own, I went to one of the invitations/stationery store to ask how much one costs. The very simple one that I liked was about $3.00/piece. So, being cheap that I am, I decided to do it on my own. Vince seemed to like the finished product.

**Last night, I was able to drag Vince to Bed, Bath and Beyond to register. We should really have sat down first and think about what we really need and want. It took us 2 hours to register for 20 items. It was mostly my fault because I couldn't decide on what I wanted. We really need a nice set of pots and pans because the ones we have are hand-me-downs. I didn't really care much for cooking utensils when I got my own place because up until that time, I never really cooked. When I moved to Chicago, my sister-in-law gave me her old set which worked fine for me. But I am now taking more interest in learning how to cook and bake. However, I still don't know what kind of pots and pans are good. I guess I could ask my sister-in-law who is a great cook but she swears by those surgical steel cooking utensils that cost thousands for a set. Uhmm, I don't think I am ready for those. So Vince and I were at the cooking section, and we were going back and forth whether to get the Emeril pots or the ones advertised by Rachel Ray. ( I like her, so I was more inclined on getting those pots) But we finally decided on Calphalon. Vince was getting tired, and I understand because he would rather be studying for his oral board than to decide on pots. And he's right, half of these stuff we register for, we won't probably get anyway. He became more enthusiastic when we got to picking table settings and bed linens. The store was ready to close so we stopped when we got to the linen section. Oh well.

**Yesterday, one of my bridesmaids called me to tell me that she can't be a bridesmaid anymore. She's due on the 22nd of July, that is if the baby comes on time. She only found out about two weeks ago. She's irregular so she didn't have any inkling that she could be pregnant. Of course I am happy for her, but now I have only two bridesmaids left. That should be ok since I really wanted a small wedding party but Vince has 4 attendants, and I didn't want the party to look uneven. (I am obsessive, that way) I don't know if I will ask another friend or just leave it as that. One of the groomsmen won't have a girl to walk with but I'd feel bad to ask another friend to take over when I didn't ask her in the first place. I don't want her to think she's second choice. Oh well.

** I received the veil and headpiece that I got made from the Philippines. Vince and my friends K and N went to the Philippines to take care of their own wedding preps. N got the veil specially made from a designer. The beadings were great, but the veil was not made exactly as I liked. It's not N nor the designer's fault though, because the pictures and instructions I gave were probably not clear enough. I am not freaking out about it, because it can probably be fixed if I could only find a seamstress to stitch the edges the way I like. Oh well.

5 Comments:

At 12:32 AM, Blogger star said...

i suddenly missed being a bride :) enjoy every moment, sis. although not every moment may be sweet as you imagine wedding preps to be as, as you may find out. nice work on the save the date cards! :)

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anytime you save some money - is a great idea! good luck, shelly!

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger lengirl said...

like star, i miss being a bride! the preps were both stressful and fun, and edward and i always laugh about it when we reminisce :) enjoy and goodluck!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger V-Hume said...

Uh yes, I miss being a bride, too ((I'm sure I must have been one during a previous life). Anyway, just to let everyone know that the cards blew me away. I always saw everything in its raw material form, which was kinda "eh". But Richel put everything together so beautifully, it makes the actual wedding invitation itself seem bland.
Do I sense a career change?

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Marj and Carlos said...

Good luck with the rest of your preps! Have fun with it!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home